• Meg Ryan was America’s sweetheart When Harry Met Sally. But when the cute blonde star entered her forties, she made a big mistake and had unnecessary cosmetic surgery to enhance her lips and is now nearly unrecognizable in her starring role in the recent remake of the 1939 classic The Women.

Meg Ryan, Plastic Surgery

In approximately 2005, now 46-year old Meg began to dabble in plastic surgery, most noticeably on her lips. Meg’s larger than life lips, which many have compared to being reminiscent of Batman’s arch nemesis, The Joker, are the main focus of many fans. The stretched out appearance of her mouth indicates that her lips are likely the result of a permanent filler rather than a temporary filler, like Juvederm, which would give them a more natural appearance.

On his blog, Dr. Anthony Youn speculates, “She appears to have had lip implants placed, most evident in her upper lip. Back in the late 90′s many plastic surgeons used Gore Tex implants to “permanently” enlarge the lips. I put “permanently” in parentheses because most patients had them eventually taken out. The problem I see with Gore Tex implants (and most lip implants in general) is that they are too firm to look like normal lip tissue. This can cause the upper lip to look unnaturally stiff. In addition, it can also make the mouth look wider because the implant doesn’t allow the lip to pucker normally. This result can be exaggerated with injectables like Restylane and Collagen, which surgeons use to enhance the borders of the lips. Her lips do appear better now, possibly a result of removal of some or all of the implant, or maybe just due to laying off the additional lip injections. I like her the best before she appears to have had anything done.”

Meg may have had the implants removed and now uses collagen or Restylane, as her lips do look less large than previously, although they are still not at all natural appearing.

In addition to having her lips done, there has also been speculation that Meg has had cheek implants, as her face looks fuller than before. While her cheeks are certainly fuller than they were in her youth, Make Me Heal thinks that they are the results of fat grafting, as in a volumetric facelift, like Madonna’s. (See Make Me Heal’s story on Madonna’s facelift), which was likely combined with some other tightening procedures, like a forehead lift or necklift, as Meg has no sagging skin.

Dr. Babak Azizzadeh combines multilevel fat grafting with facelifts, eyelid rejuvenation, and brow lifts (forehead lifts) to achieve three dimensional facial rejuvenation that avoids the plastic pulled look of old-school facelifts entirely.

“In my current approach, I proceed with harvesting of the fat from the abdomen, flank inner or outer thigh region,“ said Dr. Azizzadeh in an article written by him in the Make Me Heal Magazine (read the full interview on Dr. Azizzadeh’s Facelift With Volume Restoration). http://www.makemeheal.com/news/facelift/489

“The fat is then processed gently to avoid rupture of the fat cells. We try to maintain some of the serum that comes out as there has been research showing that there are stem cells present in the serum. We next proceed with endoscopic brow lift, conservative blepharoplasty (eyelift) and/ or short scar facelift procedures depending on the patient’s need to address the excess laxity and create structural support for the face. At the conclusion of the procedures, fat grafting is utilized to volumize the face in a three-dimensional format in the brow area, in the teartrough, cheek and the region around the mouth.“

Meg may also get Botox injections, as her forehead doesn’t have any creases. The only signs that Meg is middle aged are around her eyes, where she has some creping and wrinkling.

Meg Ryan, Plastic Surgery

Meg has reportedly said that she will be ready to retire when Hollywood stops asking for her, “”I think when Hollywood is done with me, I will probably be done with it. I’m not interested in playing those stock characters any more and I don’t feel sad that I don’t get those kind of offers.”

However, Make Me Heal suspects that the dearth of Meg Ryan roles comes more from her awkward appearance than anything else.

Although Make Me Heal applauds Meg’s efforts to remain eternally young, as she’s already managed to become nearly unrecognizable, it seems her quest for eternal youth has been as unsuccessful as her recent films.

Read the complete celebrity plastic surgery profile of Meg Ryan on Plasticopedia, the web’s largest celebrity plastic surgery encyclopedia.

Comments

1. Bored on September 19, 2008 11:43 pm

BlablablaBORING! I would rather listen to what celebrities have to say, not plastic surgeons who are BIG part of this problem that leads women to think they need it.

2. Kimm on September 22, 2008 11:58 pm

I did think it was interesting because the whole time I watched “The Women” I was creeped out looking at her and so distracted but trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with her face I almost forgot to be annoyed by her trying to act the same exact way she has in so many of her former roles with less facial movement – I mean, I don’t think she’s “unrecognizable”, its more like who is that annoying look alike tehy hired to be lovelably dorky?

3. Jakester on September 23, 2008 6:35 am

I was shocked to see Meg Ryan on Leno/Letterman last week — I did not even recognize her. It was disheartening to see someone maul their God-given beauty. At this rate, she’ll end up becoming like that Cat woman lady. Scary stuff!

4. Vicky on September 23, 2008 9:58 pm

I saw “The Women” and I thougth it was a lot of entertaining fun. I also thought Meg Ryan looked beautiful! All of the other comments posted here sound like sour grapes! Good for you Meg! You look great and you have a great figure too! I am inspired to try harder to get into shape! I looked forward to the movie, I went the first day out, and do not regret having seen it. All of the cast did a wonderful job. This is just my opinion and with that and four bucks you can buy a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

5. LL on September 25, 2008 8:54 pm

I agree with Vicky. I, too, saw “The Women” and I thought that Meg Ryan looked beautiful!

6. Faith on September 27, 2008 8:31 am

I was in Fort Worth when I saw “The Women”. I loved the movie, I will also most likely buy it. I thought everyone did a fantastic job. Meg Ryan still is really a beautiful woman, and honestly, who cares what kind of plastic surgery she gets. If she has had anything done, then she OBVIOUSLY thought about it and decided she wanted it. It’s her life, I just like her, because she does her job very well, not because she lives her life exactly the way I would. Good grief.

7. Agnes on September 28, 2008 9:55 am

Meg Ryan used her formerly very expressive face to portray emotions, as do all actors. Her ability to do this made her famous.

Now that’s all gone. She has ruined her face. You can’t act with a permanent joker mask.

Nature does NOT give one a top lip as big as the bottom lip – why do people think this is attractive? It’s not.

The unnaturally full cheeks just add to the joker effect. And her eyes and nose look different, too.

She doesn’t look young, she just looks unnatural.

Shame on the surgeon who did this to such a beautiful face.

Oh, and the movie was terrible. See the original then you’ll know just how terrible, by comparison.

8. M. Johnson on October 3, 2008 11:26 am

I didn’t even recognize her. She looks horrible! I was wondering if she had been in a disfiguring accident – seriously!
      She used to be pretty. Now she looks like she belongs in a freak show.

9. jasmin on October 5, 2008 12:33 pm

Meg Ryan never needed any plastic surgery, she was the girl next door, she was perfect. Now she is so fake looking it makes you sick. I think the wrinkles would have been alot easier on the eyes then this mess.

10. Shawny on October 6, 2008 8:39 am

I used to love Meg Ryan’s movies- but not really interested in ‘The Woman’. I think I would be too distracted by her “new look”. Although I will keep and open mind…

Here is a woman who changed her appearance (I assume) to remain young- but she just looks, well, odd. Check out other “older” actresses who still look beautiful (Diane Lane for one)– you can be HOT and over 40 or 50 and so on. Why is this concept lost on so many woman? Why do we need to look 25 when we are 45? It’s not natural or even attractive? I’m not saying don’t stay in shape or try to look your best- and I’m sure some elective procedures are done for the “right reason”- you can’t throw a rock in L.A. without hitting a boob job– but use some better judgment.

I’ve lost some respect for Meg. Only my opinion- but maybe meg and Joan Rivers used the same surgeon? At least Joan owns up to her surgery and remains self deprecating. It gives her back some appeal…

I’m sure Meg is still the same person she always was- on the inside, I just wish she felt it Ok to reflect that person on the outside. It takes more strength and integrity to say “this is me, and that’s Ok”- than to conform to societal pressures. THOSE are the kind of women we should be celebrating and telling our daughters to look up to. The ones that are beautiful no matter what (i.e. age, race, weight etc…).

11. Mary Jo on October 30, 2008 3:27 pm

OMG, she looks like she has a hanger in her mouth. This is so sad, she was just a beautiful woman and now she looks like a caracature drawing od herself.

12. wade on December 1, 2008 8:03 am

I was shocked. She was an absolute heartthrob for me. When I saw her in TOP GUN, I fell in love. And the adoration lasted until this change. I still adore her personality, but this facial change is truly hard to look at. DAMN! Where is the face I grew to love?

13. Katie on December 26, 2008 5:05 am

While I agree that Meg had some (bad) work done, I’m puzzled why this and other plastic surgery sites constantly say that 40-something women with no forhead wrinkles must have had work done. Well, I’m 47 and I don’t have a single line on my forehead, or anywhere else on my face, for that matter. Friends my age don’t have any, either, and none of us have had anything done. Everyone acts like OMG, you hit your 40s and you are a wrinkled, sagging mess. Yes, it happens to some women (mainly smokers and sun worshippers), but the majority of middle-aged women I know look good.

14. John on January 3, 2009 8:57 pm

I have always loved the way Meg Ryan looked, until she had plastic surgery. Too bad,so sad, that she felt the need to have this butchery done to her face.. she was so very lovely and I couldn’t image a more perfect example of what a woman should look like. The proportions were what my ideal woman would be.
      My opinion only… so… sad. Why screw with perfection????

15. Nikki on January 5, 2009 11:20 am

I totally agree that she looks like the Joker. I too watched and watched trying to figure out what part of her face was causing the problem. She looks like a hot mess, almost up there with Farrah Fawcett!

16. Leslie on January 25, 2009 10:00 am

It is really sad. I hope she sued the Dr. responsible for this, and hope she is getting counseling regarding, why she thought this was a good idea in the first place. I’m not sue happy, but this Dr’s work is attrocious.

17. DJ on January 29, 2009 9:26 am

Very sad. Always loved Meg. Enjoyed her down to earth qualities and the roles she played. Watched “My Mom’s New Boyfriend” last night and knew something was amiss. She just didn’t look like the Meg Ryan we had come to know and love. All through the movie we kept asking, “did she have plastic surgery?” Her face looks so unnatural. God’s craftsmanship just can’t be beat.

18. tman60715 on February 20, 2009 11:08 pm

Meg looks so fine.
      sweet,and pure

19. tman60715 on February 20, 2009 11:10 pm

Meg, looks so sweet, and pure

20. andy G on April 5, 2009 9:01 am

Meg how awful, once a pretty gal from next door and now just the creepy neighbor with the Joker’s mask face. Why people can’t just find inner peace? Hope everyone learns a lesson from this screw up.

21. Colleen on June 22, 2009 4:53 am

I just watched “The Women” and I wasn’t even sure it was Meg Ryan. I remembered reading about her having plastic surgery and in my opinion, it is awful. Meg doesn’t even look like she did. She was beautiful without all the cutting and implants. I am sorry she did the surgery.

22. Michelle on November 25, 2009 8:47 pm

Just watching “The Women” now and can’t stop staring at Meg Ryan’s face. She looks terrible. God knows what she’ll look like by the time she’s 60. Why do these women like Ryan continue to disfigure themselves just to try to look the same as they did in their 20s? None of us do and none of us will. Crazy!

23. Mike on November 29, 2009 7:54 pm

Why so serious???????!!!!!!!!!

24. Maggie on December 17, 2009 3:26 am

I totallly agree that she was one of the most naturally stunning faces I have ever seen and I would love to be just like her, that is, as she was not as she is now….but has anyone else wondered – do you think she has had a boob job as well. In “You got mail” her breasts were small and perky by no means as large as they were shown in Against the Ropes or The Women. Its strange because they dont look like your average enhanced bosom!

25. marie on March 17, 2010 1:24 pm

I dont get it. She had perfect lips, eyes, nose, hair, figure. I watched a movie (the Cut or something) of 2003 in which she was absolutely stunning without make up

I tend to believe some doctors deliberately destroy the faces of those women they would never have.

Recently one doctor told me about injections. I looked at her assistant. No wrinkles around the mouth. She looked dead, like she never existed.

Look at Michelle Pfeiffer. she is older but so Lovely. Look at Sade. Wonderful. they are strong women who know to follow instinct and never trust so called experts.
      Remember Sophia Loren, Ornella Muti. quite wise they were.

26. Chris on August 15, 2010 9:06 pm

She looks like a cocker spaniel now! These pics don’t even show the worst of it. All those Hollywood “actresses” go for the facial fillers,but they are over-done and make them look bloated and cartoonish. Meg Ryan was once a nice looking lady, but now she just looks freakish, sort of a cross between The Joker and that Madame puppet.