• Meryl Streep and Julie Walters are veteran actresses in their late 50′s from opposite ends of the pond. Besides co-starring in next week’s film Mama Mia! the two stars have recently made statements to the media about how they feel about going under the knife.

Meryl Streep, Facelift

Meryl Streep recently said that she hasn’t had plastic surgery and doesn’t think other actors should either

“You’d be amazed how many men in the industry have gone down that road. I don’t get it. I think you have to embrace getting older and celebrate life. …

“The good thing about getting older is that when they do cast you it’s often something interesting – you’re no longer asked to be the beautiful leading lady. You’re allowed to do different things. I’ve had some very interesting parts over the past few years in films that examine all the idiosyncrasies people have.”

While this sounds good in theory, Make Me Heal and our readers think that Meryl has had some nips and tucks over the years to help her look good, even at 59. Meryl had a face lift, neck lift, and in most likelihood an eyelid surgery. Additionally, we are quite sure that she’s done maintenance over the years via laser or chemical peels and the routine dermal injections such as Botox or Restylane. Also of note, the plumpy cheekbones appear to be a trait of that Streep has had for at least a decade, so we are not sure if she’s had cheek implants or if it’s a natural feature. What is difficult to pin down is not the fact that Meryl Streep had cosmetic surgery, which she did, but rather when it happened. A Make Me Heal poll taken with its members has 93% of the respondents saying that Streep had a facelift. (See Make Me Heal’s story on Meryl Streep’s plastic surgery).

Meryl may be embracing getting older, but she’s also celebrated modern improvements in plastic surgery. On the other hand, Meryl’s Mama Mia! costar, British actress Julie Walters, may be telling the truth when she says she hasn’t had any work done.

Julie Walters, Plastic Surgery

Although she admits to fantasizing about having a nip or tuck, she has promised herself she wouldn’t go through with it.

“I think I would let myself down if I had anything done. I understand why people do it, though,” Walters told The Mirror. “There isn’t a day that goes by when I don’t think ‘If I just did that’, ‘just a little…’”

Make Me Heal wonders if this next part of the interview was directed at Meryl:

“I wouldn’t let my hair grow out grey though because that would depress me – but I am not bothered about lines. They are a part of my life. My husband isn’t bothered and if I have to have some kind of work done to be attractive to a person, then I just don’t want it.”

Make Me Heal has been a fan of both Meryl and Julie for years and we look forward to watching them sing and dance through the film version of the popular Abba musical play Mama Mia! when it hits theatres next week.

Read the complete celebrity plastic surgery profile of Meryl Streep on Plasticopedia and Julie Walters on Plasticopedia, the largest celebrity plastic surgery encyclopedia.

Comments

1. Pam on July 11, 2008 9:52 pm

“What is difficult to pin down is not the fact that Meryl Streep had cosmetic surgery, which she did, but rather when it happened.” What an asinine statement! Oh so Meryl Streep did in fact have plastic surgery, because you know something that we don’t? Where are your facts to support this statement? Please do show them. Who is moderating this section? Seriously because apparently the bimbo writing it can’t distinguish between giving opinions “I think she might have had some type of surgery” and making uncalled for statements that are in no way not supported by real facts.

Is it too much to expect a little professionalism even in this gossip blog?

2. Mary Jane on July 11, 2008 11:43 pm

You’d have to be very naive to take Meryl Streep at her word and believe that she hasn’t had any surgery – unless there is a fountain of youth that Hollywood has exclusive access to, it is pretty obvious that Streep has had a lot done. No one could look that good at almost 60 years old without a nip and tuck. You don’t have to be an expert to see this either. There’s nothing worse than slamming others for having surgery when you’ve had extensive work done yourself – shame on her for her hypocrisy.

3. Marla on July 12, 2008 11:15 am

I see no evidence Streep has had plastic surgery. She has the same face she has always had plus wrinkles and sags. Look at her pictures when she was young and today. She has the same features. She has sags and wrinkles around the eyes which tells me she does not use botox. She is also sagging around the jawline which shows she has not had a facelife. She is aging naturally. She is lucky because she has great bone structure, high cheeks which keep things in place.

4. Marla on July 12, 2008 11:19 am

Cheek implants?

How old are you? 12?

Streep is famous for her cheekbones. Go back and watch her movies from 20, 30 years ago. She has always had prominent cheekbones. It will help her as she ages. High cheekbones keep the face from sagging. She is sagging a little in the jawline already but not as much as she would have because the cheekbones are keepting her face lifted.

Whoever wrote this must be someone very young with no memory of Streep from a few decades ago. Go back and look at her pictures. It is the same face. Except now she has wrinkles and sags.

5. Mary Jane on July 13, 2008 7:43 am

6. Marla on July 13, 2008 12:10 pm

““It’s the same face as a few decades ago” – err, yes, that’s kind of the point! Oh dear.”

You left out the other part. I said it is the same face PLUS wrinkles and sags.

You must be very young with no memory of how Meryl Streep looked 20-30 years ago. She has always had high cheekbones.

7. zsuzsu on July 13, 2008 4:03 pm

I’m 52, and I tell you, no one Meryl Streeps age looks quite like that without a little work. No matter how you take care of yourself. NO ONE!
      It doesn’t look she’s had alot of work, but she sure doesn’t look like me or any of my friends!

8. Kat on July 20, 2008 2:52 pm

Marla is correct. Meryl’s high cheekbones have helped her maintain a youthful appearance. What most people don’t know is that what we associate with aging is simply sun damage and when you take care of yourself by wearing sunscreen and maintaining a consistent weight you can maintain a youthful appearance. I’m in my late 40s with high cheekbones and I always wear sunscreen. Most people think I’m in my early 30s. Women my age will routinely tell me “your young…wait until you are my age.” When I tell them my age they are shocked and think I must have had botox, etc. This is what dermatologists have been saying for years. We don’t really know what a 59 year old should look like because since the 1940s most women relished in getting suntans in their 20s and 30s and they damaged their skin. I personally think Meryl has taken care of herself by wearing sunscreen and avoiding excessive weight gains and losses which stretch the skin and which many women tend to do as evidence in the multiple weight loss plans and programs advertised daily.

9. Laura on August 26, 2008 1:43 pm

Oh yes people can look like this at that age. I know lots of people who look lot younger at that age. And her face isnt changed by plastic surgery, you can clearly see it. but if, of course, you dont havr what to do, just spreding some gossips… What is the point then of bing aginst ‘em? If she says she is, maybe she really is – never thought of that?

10. Sophie on October 2, 2008 9:48 am

Hello, i would just like to say until you 100% prove that Meryl Streep has has sugery, nor me or any of her fans going to believe you, because we all know that she hasnt’ why would she lie to the people who love her? We respect her so much for being happy in her own skin, oh and by the way those lovely cheekbones she has, she’s ALWAYS had them. So ha! x

11. Malinda on January 3, 2009 4:51 pm

OMFG, iFmERYL SAYS SHE HASNT THEN I BELIEVE SHE HASNT SO WHAT SHE LOOKS YOUNGE ITS CALLED MAKEUP HAVNT YOU SEEN THE ROLLING STONES COVER OF HER SHE SHOW ALL HER GLORY ABOUT GETTING OLDER AND CHEEK IMPLANTS THATS A BIT REDICULOUS ISNT IT SHE IS FAMOUS FOR THEM AND IF YOU GO ON THIS WEBSITE http://WWW.STUNNING-MERYL.BEBO.COM YOULL SEE SOME PHOTOS OG HER FROM A YOUNGE AGE AND SHE HAS THEM FAMOUS CHEEKBONES AND HER DAUGHTERS HAVE THEM TOO. I BELIEVE SHE ASNT HAD ANY WORK DONE SHE IS AGEING BUT SHES DOING IT GRACEFULLY
      X

12. Anonymous on January 10, 2009 6:32 pm

Zsuzsu i wish you would realise that Meryl’s whole body could just about hang off her cheek bones and it’s true the person that wrote this must of been 12 or 13 years old I mean I’m only 12 but i’ve done the research to prove that she may of used makeup but heres a list of things that everyone must think about.
      1.Cheekbones, Always had them.
      2.she is’nt ageing so much it’s called ageing gracefully.

So these are my points you may have others but thats your problem. From Meryl’s No.1 Fan Shazza

13. Janet on February 12, 2009 7:58 pm

What a royal bunch of BS. Meryl Streep has never gone under the knife (except for knee surgery, I’m sure).

14. Michelle on February 13, 2009 8:28 am

Meryl is famous for the cheekbones ! They are a product of genetics, not surgery and your lack of knowledge on that alone invalidates anything you say from there on in. I have met Ms. Streep and seen her up close and she is amamzing ! Her skin is unbelievable but does have wrinkles and she does have signs of aging around her eyes. Not only are her face and neck unbelievable, so is her whole chest area. She stays out of the sun, always wearing a hat when you see her in pics. She may have had treatments done, but I don’t think she has ever gone under the knife. Why can’t we just accept the fact some women take care of themselves and age gracefully. To me, there is not much difference between Meryl and Julie Walters, except their level of fame. Meryl is a Hollywood icon, not Paris Hilton, so lay off and get your facts straight.

15. wells on February 13, 2009 12:54 pm

Just shows how ignorance and unfounded gossip can do damage. I’m sorry I even read this.

16. Grace on February 14, 2009 10:08 am

Ummm…FYI….Meryl Streep has NEVER had plastic surgery. (and, yes, I know of what I speak)

17. Holly on February 15, 2009 3:00 pm

I find it quite sad that people can’t believe women over 40 can possibly look good without plastic surgery.

I’ve stood in front of Meryl Streep on multiple occasions and she has plenty of wrinkles, all over her face and neck, particularly around her eyes [where you claim she’s had work?].

She’s aged incredibly well, and looks fabulous for her age. But it’s called having an amazing make-up artist for 30 years – J. Roy Helland. Have you seen Doubt? She looks completely her age because she’s got no make-up on at all.

She’s constantly given her opinion on plastic surgery, and has said that the most she’s ever had done was her c-section, and that was because it was necessary, and a capped tooth.

18. louisa on February 15, 2009 5:46 pm

Meryl hasn’t had surgery.
      I saw her at a premiere and she had wrinkles and her neck wasn’t “lifted,” it was sort of sagging.
      But let me tell you, she is the most beautiful person I have ever seen! But I KNOW she hasn’t had surgery.

19. Margaret on February 16, 2009 6:57 pm

The writer of this is a moron and shouldn’t be allowed to post on the internet AT ALL! You make RIDICULOUS accusations and claim them to be true with absolutely no proof or evidence…and you’re absolutely wrong as well.

Why don’t you post a picture of you on the website so everybody can critique it and judge you. Don’t be jealous of Meryl Streep because she’s gorgeous in spite of her age!

20. Bart on February 18, 2009 8:37 pm

If you look closely at Streep’s face in her films, you’ll see she hasn’t had plastic surgery. She actually lost a few pounds for Prada, which is one of the reasons she looked so good in that film. The other involves the shoot: hair, make-up, lighting, camera angles. Streep was supposed to look like a hot older woman, and she did. I also work in the industry with people who know and work with her and they’ve said the same to me.

21. Trish on February 20, 2009 6:36 am

Meryl Streep has a deviated septum that she had refused to fix for 30+ years so it’s unlikely that she’s going to go under the knife now.

And as has been said repeatedly she has always had those amazing cheekbones so I have no idea when this ludicrous idea of ‘cheek implants’ comes from.

A woman can look this good at Meryl’s age. My mother is 45 and looks 35 and there are no signs that this is going to change as her mother is 70 and looks 50.

So, no. I don’t think Meryl’s had surgery.

22. Cassie on February 24, 2009 9:06 pm

What a load of crap . meryl has never had or will have plastic surgery. Meryl is simply aging gracefully. the writer of this article is an absolute moron.

23. JR on March 2, 2009 2:18 pm

Meryl’s “look” can be credited to subtle, age-apppropriate makeup and a good skin care regime. But there is absolutely nothing about her face whatsoever that even hints at the idea that she’s had work done.

I know plenty of people, men and women, who are not rich and famous but have good genes and who simply took care of themselves and avoided excess sun exposure. And they look amazing and put many of the Hollywood elite to shame.

24. Susie Q on March 20, 2009 6:58 pm

I don’t think Meryl has had surgery. She has very good bone structure, prominent cheekbones and always had wonderful skin, which helps. I am 50 with very strong bone structure and prominent cheekbones and Meryl looks beautiful, but she does look older than me, and I have never had any surgery either. I think she has good genes and looks great for her age and she looks natural.

25. Italian chick on May 20, 2009 6:56 am

i love meryl streep and julie walters! they’re so ironic and geuine! i don’t think meryl has ever had plastic surgery, she doesn’t look like all the other celebs! they’re def my two favorite actresses!!
      (mamma mia! is spelled with two Ms btw lol)

26. Amber on June 24, 2009 12:40 pm

I think the girl who wrote this article has been experimenting with crystal meth.

To the writer of this stupid article:
      Honey, you need to get a life. Meryl hasn’t had surgery. Is this all you really care about? I recommend you see a therapist. GET A LIFE. Read a book. Knit. DO SOMETHING.

27. denver face lifts on July 10, 2009 2:40 am

great tips. I enjoyed reading this

28. Marissa on July 10, 2009 11:57 am

Meryl Streep has never had surgery!!!! YOu people are just jealous that you can’t look like that at 59, I am 13 and a huge Meryl fan and what one of the other comments said I agree with why Would Meryl Streep lie to the people who love her????? Just think…

LOVE YOU MERYL STREEP <3!!

29. kathleen on July 26, 2009 5:51 pm

I am 57 and I don’t have wrinkles or sags. I don’t have the money for a facelift or any of those dermatologist treatments. I used sunscreen and sunglasses when doing yard work. I use sunscreen when I swim, but I never lay in the sun.

I don’t think Ms. Streep would lie. She does take care of her skin as we all should do.

Exercise and eating good foods help your skin too.

30. Gigi on August 5, 2009 8:24 am

I am 58 and the women I associate with always assume I am in my 30′s or 40′s. Its genetics, and having a little weights on your bones. You know at the Oscars Meryl plainly stated “I am a size 16″. Thats gonna keep some wrinkles at bay. And as others have clearly stated, taking care of your skin, and your self. Not every one looking youthful is opting for the knife. The list of those who have not is endless.

31. number1merylfan on August 26, 2009 5:40 pm

I am one of meryl’s hugest fans! I have seen almost every movie she has been in from the seventies to present and you can clearly tell that her face is exactly the same as it was thirty years ago ecept that it has aged gracefully. Whoever wrote this article apparently nedded something to do and decided to post lies about the greatest living actress. Whoever u are, u need to get your facts straight and find something more productive to do. Meryl’s cheekbones are amazing and have kept her looking youthful. If you cant see that you are an idiot. Meryl is too honest and amazing to undergo plastic surgery, or lie about it. I’m only 13 and i can honestly say meryl is my idol because of her talent her genuiness and her honesty. whoever wants to post lies about her doesnt deserve to have a blog. go meryl! i love you

32. number1merylfan on August 29, 2009 8:43 am

GO MERYL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

33. clogger on September 15, 2009 6:04 am

i think Meryl streep is beautiful and that she is aging gracefully

34. Danielle on November 14, 2009 10:19 am

If you look at pictures from her when she was younger to when she is now and compare them you see she looks the same, probably with a bit more make up on here and there but definatly the same face and all sorts just with some more wrinkles, but hey she still looks absolutely gorgeous and if she was to get surgery im sure she would have gone for her nose first? she looks fabulous and is an amazing woman for being so comfortable with her own look. she is brilliant, and a huge inspiration.

35. Julia on December 6, 2009 10:49 pm

Baloney and more baloney. Celebs routinely LIE to gullible, worshiping fans about not having had plastic surgery. Either Streep’s had some over the years, or they are CGI-ing and photoshopping every movie she’s in and also obviously,magazine covers. Even great cheekbones eventually recede with age, and a small implant bolted on each side can bring the bone back to its former glory, plus lift the sides of the face. Cher also denies surgery, and do you believe her too?

36. Leya on December 11, 2009 6:03 am

lol she didnt even have her deviated septum fixed! i think that shows a pretty anti-plastic surgery stance.

37. Karen on December 21, 2009 8:41 am

I think she dyes her hair – and that’s it. I concur with most of the other posters – good genes are a major factor to looking younger than actual years. And that she has as well as loads of talent. Remember too lifestyle can age you – and most pampered celebs don’t have the day to day trials & tribulations that us mere mortals have to endure. She looks great. She’ll always be my fave actress.

38. Jacob on January 2, 2010 8:06 pm

I am a liscensed Plastic Surgery and it is clear that she has had botox injections or restylane injections, and at least one brow lift. It is not relevant if she has had a neck lift or not because she may be one of the few women that age gracefully and with no flaws.

39. C on January 12, 2010 11:39 am

I think that Meryl is beautiful the way she is, she does not need any form of sugery. I agree with her, no one should have it done, and if people fully understood the risks, I don’t think as many people would undergo sugery.

40. Marsha on January 29, 2010 5:39 pm

This is all very entertaining to a BIG Meryl Streep fan who is exactly the same age. (I was born March 25, 1949 – and Meryl was born nearly 3 months later, on June 22, 1949.) Anyway, I look just about the same as Meryl – perhaps even a little younger, as EVERYONE is always surprised when they hear how old I am. I too am very fair-skinned and have taken fairly good care of myself and my face/skin (avoiding sun, using sunscreen, etc.) but have never had any work done and rarely any facials, no expensive creams, etc. Anyway, my point is that – in my opinion – Meryl Streep has definitely NOT had any work done. She looks her age, she has always had the same gorgeous high cheekbones (finely chiseled features, as they say), and she is simply aging gracefully but naturally. Yes, of course it’s the same face – aging naturally, if you look at her pictures and her movies in chronological order. Case closed.

41. Danielle on January 31, 2010 1:55 pm

If anyone has seen Meryl in her new movie, It’s Complicated, then you will see she definatly looks her age but still looks absolutely gorgeous, and again if she was to have surgery I’m sure she would get her deviated septum fixed. She is amazing the way she looks naturally, she clearly hasn’t had any surgery.

42. Jodi Renshaw on February 2, 2010 7:50 am

I know MANY women in their 60s who look as good as Streep does … without plactic surgery. I would bet my life that that woman is telling the truth. What does she have to gain otherwise? It is not as though nips and tucks are taboo anymore. Personally, I think this writer is a bit jealous … and completely lacking in any authority or knowledge by which to suggest Streep is anything other than genuine.

43. Jodi Renshaw on February 2, 2010 7:51 am

Jacob – you cannot “tell” whether she has had botox or other injections. Ridiculous.

44. Chloe on February 8, 2010 1:35 am

I am 13 and one of Meryl’s greatest fans and think that whoever wrote this article must be some dumb egg or something. From far away it might look like Meryl’s had work done but close up you can see that she has some sags and wrinkles and she DEFINITELY has not had plastic surgery. Go and find some evidence first before you post absolute lies on the internet!! GO MERYL!!!!!

45. Marissa on February 9, 2010 5:36 pm

To the stupid, ignorant fools that wrote this article, I would love to inject my opinion onto this ugly and terrible website. First, to the “doctors” that seem to know everything about someone they’ve never met: go back to college because obviously you learned nothing about anything. Second, to the unintelligent people that dare to support these unreliable and incredibly false accusations: I dare you to take up this argument with me, because believe me I will win. And to the streepers that defended Meryl on this page: thankyou, because if it weren’t for your aggressive assertion of the truth, this web page would probably disintegrate due to its utter lack of knowledge. Leaving you as it leaves me, a thoroughly disgusted Meryl Streep fan.

46. Sharon Stone Gibson on March 7, 2010 7:39 am